Friday, April 2, 2010

32 bit vs 64 bit confusion

I have been using CS4 extended for a few months on a Vista 64 bit machine and recently discovered?that the installer installs both 32 %26amp; 64 bit versions.

I assumed that the system would automatically run the 64 bit version. I have just discovered after installing a new 64 bit plugin and not finding it?that I have been apparently using the 32 bit version all along.My confusion mainly comes from the fact that the plugin installed in the 32 bit version and not in the 64, but it looks like all my custom actions are in both versions, and my custom workspace is in both. Does PS automatically put a copy of a new action and workspace in both versions, and the plugin installer only put it in one? TIA

32 bit vs 64 bit confusion

Firstly, you can see which version of PS is running by going to Help %26gt; System Info...

By default, if the installer detects a 64-bit OS, it will install both versions, each with its own shortcut icon


Secondly, not all extras are stored in the relevant Program Files folder, so that could explain your second point.

32 bit vs 64 bit confusion

The workspaces, custom actions, kb shortcuts, etc are stored in a different location (C:\Users\...). They are also stored in the same folder so they're available for both 32 and 64bit versions. Also, these files contain only settings so they don't care about 32/64bit apps.

Thanks John. I had looked at the help%26gt;about Photoshop menu, but not system.

Re icons-I guess I told the installer not to make shortcuts, or I might have eliminated one.

(I have run both versions just now by double-clicking on them in their respective folders)

Two more questions:

1) Will creating an action in one version place a copy of it in the other version?

Edited: Zeno answered this while I was typing-Thanks Zeno

2) It seems that there are several questions on this forum about problems with the 64 bit version.

Would one be more prudent by sticking with the 32 bit version? (My largest files rarely exceed

300 mb, and I have a quad processor with 6 gigs of ram.)

Again, TIA

(I'm off for a couple of hours of sleep, so If someone posts and I don't reply right away, don't think you are not appreciated!)

cbeas wrote:


Would one be more prudent by sticking with the 32 bit version?

Thanks John and Zeno for the prompt answers. I will use the 64 bit version unless I find a plugin that won't work with it, then I'll fall back on 32 bit.

Enjoy the program!?

No comments:

Post a Comment